Jan 25, 2018
Jan 25, 2018
Today In History
Here are some interesting facts ih history happened on 20 October.
- Battle of Sekigahara establishes Tokugawa clan as rulers of Japan (shoguns) until 1865 (basis of Clavell's novel).
- Maria Theresa became ruler of Austria Hungary & Bohemia
- Senate ratifies La Purchase.
- Kingdom of Westphalia abolished.
- US & Britain agree to joint control of Oregon country.
- Spain sells (east) Florida to US for $5 million.
- US wins disputed boundary between the District of Alaska & Canada.
- Dr Lee DeForest gives a demonstration of his radio tube
- Bayshore Highway opens (SF).
- During WWII MacArthur goes to Phillipines saying `I have returned'
- Frank Seno returns kickoff 105 yd Chicago Cards vs. N.Y. Giants.
- The House Un-American Activities Committee opens hearings into alleged Communist influence in the Hollywood movie industry.
- 1st fully mechanized post office opened Providence RI
- Ralph Houk replaces Casey Stengel as Yankee manager
- 31st president of US Herbert Hoover died in NY at age 90.
- Jacqueline Kennedy marries Aristotle Onassis.
- Harlow Shapley discoverer of the sun's position in the galaxy dies.
- Sat Night Massacre Watergate prosecutor Archibald Cox dismissed by Solicitor Gen Bork. AG Richardson & Deputy AG Ruckelshaus resigned
- 70 die as Norwegian tanker Frosta collides with George Prince
- John F. Kennedy Library dedicated in Boston.
- Billy Martin fired as manager of the Oakland A's
- Islander's Mike Bossy's 30th career hat trick - 4 goals
- Bernhard Goetz sentenced to six months in jail