Jan 25, 2018
Jan 25, 2018
Today In History
Here are some interesting facts ih history happened on 18 October.
- Louis XIV revokes Edict of Nantes outlaws Protestantism.
- Boundary between Md & Pa the Mason Dixon line agreed upon.
- English astronomer J.K Hind discovers Flor his second asteroid
- US took formal possession of Alaska from Russia ($7.2 million)
- Columbia Princeton Rutgers & Yale set rules for collegiate football
- 1st commercial long-distance phone line opens (Chicago-NY).
- American flag raised in Puerto Rico
- Mata Hari was shot as a spy by French firing squad
- British Broadcasting Corporation established
- Inventor Thomas Alva Edison died in West Orange N.J. at age 84.
- Soviet troops invaded Czechoslovakia during World War II.
- Connie Mack announced retirement as manager of the Phila Athletics
- Willie Thrower becomes 1st black NFL quarterback in modern times.
- Dr. Watson of US & Drs. Crick & Wilkins of Britain win Nobel Prize for Medicine for work in determining structure of DNA
- Walt Disney's "Jungle Book" is released
- Soviet Venera 4 becomes the 1st probe to send data back from Venus
- Robert Beaman of US broad jumps a record 8.90 m.
- US Olympic Committee suspended Tommie Smith & John Carlos for giving `black power' salute as a protest during victory ceremony
- Federal govt bans use of artificial sweeteners known as cyclamates
- Soyuz 8 returns to Earth
- Reggie Jackson hits 3 consecutive homers tying Ruth's series record
- 1st Islander 0-0 tie-Kings at Nassau-25th time shutout-Resch's 15th
- Yanks beat Dodgers 8-4 for 21st world championship 1st in 15 years
- Former 1st lady Bess Truman died in Independence Mo. at age 97