Today In History
Here are some interesting facts ih history happened on 27 August.
- St Augustine Fla established
- Delaware Bay explored by Henry Hudson for the Netherlands
- William Herschel discovers Enceladus satellite of Saturn
- Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy was born near Tula.
- US occupies Midway Islands in the Pacific
- Mickey Welsh strikesout the 1st 9 men he faces
- United Parcel Service begins service in Seattle
- Italy's declares war against Germany during WW I
- 10 suffragists were arrested as they picketed the White House
- WEAF in NYC aired the 1st radio commercial. Queensboro Realty Company of Jackson Heights paid $100 for 10 minutes of air time
- Sen. Thurmond begins 24-hr filibuster against civil rights bill
- 200 000 demonstrate for equal rights in Washington D.C
- Martin Luther King Jr I have a dream speech at the Lincoln Memorial
- Astronauts Cooper & Conrad complete 120 Earth orbits in Gemini 5
- Police & anti-war demonstrators clash at Chicago's Democratic National Convention - nominated Hubert H. Humphrey for president
- More than 520 die as a strong earthquake shook central Mexico
- Soyuz 15 returns to Earth
- NY Cosmos defeat Seattle Sounders 2-1 at Civic Stadium in Portland Ore. winning their 2nd North American Soccer League championship.
- Ron Guidry faces just 28 men & beats the Rangers 1-0
- John Hinckley Jr pleads innocent in attempt to kill Pres Reagan
- Israeli PM Menachem Begin announces resignation