Today In History
Here are some interesting facts ih history happened on 27 October.
- Michael Servetus burned at the stake for heresy in Geneva Switz.
- Federalist letters start appearing in NY newspapers.
- Treaty of San Lorenzo provides free navigation of Mississippi
- US annexes West Florida from Spain.
- RH Macy & Co opens 1st store NYC Gross receipts $1106
- Boss Tweed (William Macy Tweed) Democratic leader of Tammany Hall arrested after NY Times exposed his corruption
- Theodore Roosevelt marries Alice Lee on his 22nd birthday.
- 1st Pali Road completed in Hawaii (winds so strong streams flow UP!)
- NY opens 1st section of its subway system.
- DuPont announces that its new synthetic fiber will be called 'nylon'
- You Bet Your Life with Groucho Marx premieres on ABC radio.
- Walt Disney's 1st TV show Disneyland premiers on ABC.
- 1st Saturn Made a unmanned flight test
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines gains associated status with Britain
- Rep of Congo becomes Zaire.
- Golden Gate Natl Recreation Area created
- 1st time Islanders beat the Rangers - 3-2
- Begin & Sadat with the Nobel Peace prize
- Islanders score 2 goals within 6 seconds 3 goals within 44 seconds
- Dave Gryllis sets world bicycle speed record of 94.37 kph.